Friday 20 January 2012

New Year, New Blog - Day 20

Day 20.

Ok, so I have been made aware and I have noticed myself how this has quickly turned from a blog to a diary. Some kind old lady at work has suggested a few things I could do to 'jazz things up'. She says it would be a great idea to not just talk about what has happened during the day or a topic, but offer my views on the subject, like the news. It would also be a good idea if I asked a question or took a poll on a subject. When I ask a question, I'll also ask the same one on Facebook so people can still answer it.

Friday is such a good day for me. I get to see my wonderful year 10s in Btec business studies, my awesome year 8s in english and my adorable year 7s in science. During business studies, a young lady refused to work and I had a little chat to her about an example of when I was at school in the same situation and how I had to deal with it. She did laugh at me as I was a lot worse off than she was is and she did eventually do some work. I felt good for using an example from my own life and helping someone else with it. My year 8s are a lovely bunch. There is such a range of characters in the class I dont know how I handle them. That one lesson I see them in is my favourite lesson of the week. Nothing exciting happened in the lesson today, but the boys all think I'm an assassin who went to assassin school and this job is only a cover for my assassin lifestyle. I play along of course and make them laugh so much. I can't tell them about any of my assassinations or missions as they offically didn't happen. The day ended with year 7 science and I had the honour of taking about 7 kids and doing an experiment with them on my own. I wont go into the sciencey part of the experiment but we heated up an empty coke can with about a CM of water in the bottom on a bunsen burner. Once we saw steam coming out of the can, I picked up the can (I was wearing heat gloves) and plunged it straight into cold water. What we saw was the can implode instantly. It was pretty cool to see.

Once I got home, I watched the newest episode of The Big Bang Theory. It was hilarious! I cant remember any funny parts but I laughed a lot! The character of Sheldon is a genius!

Friday nights I help out at a Christian run youth club called FAST (Friday At Seven Thirty). Tonight was rather special, James Bell got a trend going Twitter about #fast. It was awesome to see so many of the youth tweet and get their views out into the digital and real world. The tweets just kept going and I know that 1000's of people around the world were reading.


The topic that I want to talk about tonight is the bill going through the U.S Congress about SOPA (stop online piracy act) and PIPA (protect IP act). From what I can understand, these old men of America want to pass a law that makes it illegal for any website to promote/show/link to any copyrighted content. I think thats about right, well, in a nutshell. Personally, I think were at a place where the internet is the most important communication tool on this planet. Trying to regulate what is on the WWW is like trying to censor what people talk about on the phone or text. It can't be done. It seems like America is once again bullying her way around the world because something has happened they don't like. So if websites hosting copyrighted material or links were closed, then YouTube, Facebook, Twitter and all the other social networks would close. But why wouldn't iTunes close? Or Spotify? What does everyone else think? Should SOPA and PIPA be passed?

I have plenty more to talk about and I'll post a question on Facebook (if the U.S Congress allows it) about SOPA and PIPA.

Thank you all for reading.

Until tomorrow.

Jim

No comments:

Post a Comment